How to keep your spring allergies in check.
Suffering from springtime allergies? Your first impulse may be to reach for allergy medicines. Instead, think about taking some practical steps to help reduce the pollen, dust mites and other allergens inside your home.
1. Windows: Wash curtain and wipe down blinds. Keep windows closed to keep pollen outside.
2. Bedding: Wash pillowcases, sheets and blankets regularly - at least once a week or more. Cover your pillows, mattress and box springs with covers that are dust-mite-proof.
3. Stuffed Animals: If you cannot wash your kids' stuffed animals, run them through an air fluff cycle in the dryer. Store stuffed animals in a plastic bin to keep dust to a minimum.
4. Clothing: Leave your shoes at the door, change your clothes and take a quick shower after being outside to reduce pollen inside your home.
5. Flooring: Replace carpeting with hardwood floors, tile and linoleum. All of these harbor fewer allergens than carpeting and rugs. If you cannot replace your carpeting, wash your rugs regularly and deep clean your carpeting.
6. Smoking: Allergies are simply one more reason to ask smokers not to light up inside your home.