Thursday, June 14, 2012

Long-term care is a plan . . . not a place

Have you given any thought to what you or your family would do if one of you needed care for an extended period of time? 
A growing number of my customers have been asking me about their options should they ever need extended care. I decided it was time for me to take steps to learn all I could about this complex field.
I recently completed a rigorous multidisciplinary course and passed a comprehensive exam that focuses on the profession of long-term care. The Certification in Long-Term Care (CLTC) program that I completed is independent of the insurance industry and provides professionals with the tools they need to help their clients meet their long-term care needs.
I have had far too many families ask for my advice on what they can do after a loved one has had a serious accident or been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s, dementia or some other chronic illness. The fact is there is little that I can do to help at that point.
I will be offering workshops this fall to help people understand the financial, physical and emotional consequences associated with providing or paying for care over an extended period of time. I believe that once people have this information, they will understand their need to take action while they have options.


No comments:

Post a Comment