Friday, January 16, 2015

My policy covers my daughter who will turn 26 in July.

When should he get his own health insurance?

The rules concerning health care coverage for adult children are complicated. This is why it is always best to discuss your specific situation with a qualified insurance professional who will give you all the different options.  

Your daughter’s under-26 insurance coverage will end on her 26th birthday. Because she is losing coverage on her birthday, she is qualified for a Special Enrollment Period that will allow her to enroll in a health plan outside the Open Enrollment Period.

The Special Enrollment Period ends 60 days after her 26th birthday.

If she enrolls in a new plan before her 26th birthday, coverage can begin as soon as the first day of her birthday month. If she postpones enrolling and enrolls during the 60 days after her birthday, coverage can start the first day of the month after she selects a plan. 

If your daughter does not enroll in health coverage within 60 days of her birthday, she may not be able to get coverage until the next Open Enrollment period and may be subject to penalties for being uninsured of up to $325 (per individual) or 2% of her income, whichever is more.

Many young people who are ‘aging’ off their parent’s plans qualify for premium tax credits and other savings based on their income. Whether she qualifies for these savings will be determined when she applies for an Affordable Care Plan or I can help her determine what she is qualified to receive.

Because your daughter is under age 30 she may choose to get coverage through a catastrophic health plan. These plans usually have lower monthly premiums but high deductibles. A catastrophic plan is an affordable way to be protected from worst-case scenarios, like serious accidents or illnesses.

For information, please visit our website at Or call us to make an appointment to discuss your situation. We will review all your options and help you select the plan that best suits your needs. Call me at 440-255-5700 or email 

No comments:

Post a Comment