Medicare Open Enrollment always presents an opportunity for unscrupulous people to come out of the woodwork with financial scams designed to separate you from your hard earned money. Here are a few tips to help you avoid getting scammed:
- Never pay upfront fees. If someone asks for money to help you shop for insurance, it's a sure sign they're not legitimate.
- Be wary of anyone calling you, claiming to be a Medicare representative or a representative of any other government agency. Official government agencies typically communicate by mail. If you’re concerned, ask the caller to send the information to you in writing through the mail.
- Do not fall for phone calls where someone pretends to be a representative from the government selling insurance or signing you up for Medicare. The government will not call you to sell you health insurance.
- Do not provide personal information including your Social Security or banking info to anyone you do not know and trust. Your Medicare card has your social security number on it too, needs to be safeguarded. If you give out this information by mistake, immediately inform your banks and credit card providers.
- If you are suspicious of a caller, simply hang up the phone. Don't count on caller ID to prove who the caller is.The phone number and/or organization name on your caller ID can be faked to look like a legitimate organization.
- Never give your medical history or specific treatments you have received, to anyone who asks you for it.
One of the easiest ways to protect yourself from insurance scams is to seek out a knowledgeable insurance professional who has a well-established reputation in your community. By doing so, you’ll know that your insurance agent will be around when you have questions or a claim. Mutsko Insurance Services, LLC is this kind of insurance agency. We are conveniently located in Mentor, OH and have been serving customers throughout N.E. Ohio for nine years. You can count on us to be here for you now and in the future.
Call us at 440-255-5700 for all your health insurance needs